Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Its the Journey, Not the Destination



"A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

For the first time in my life, I have no set goals. No game plan. No end destination. I am just walking along my path. Wherever I end up, I end up. Its not about the destination anymore but the journey. 

Many hinted that I should pick a niche in my photography and stick to it. However, I am not certain this is the way for me. Or maybe its me rebelling after my lawyering days where every minute was scheduled and planned (literally, we billed every six minutes!). Either way, I am really enjoying the freedom of having no set goals in this new career. I have no planned out method of attack to be the best photographer who has ever existed or predetermined plan on how to achieve the highest awards and/or special accolades in this industry. I am simply exploring photography and seeing where it takes me, instead of letting some strict plan set my path for me. 

I find by keeping my mind and heart open, I am discovering new passions within photography that I may never have known had I stuck to one rigid path.  For instance, who knew I would adore product photography as much as I do had I not taken a leap of faith and interned with Antiquaria?  I also would never have had the pleasure of working with such a wide variety of clients from families, couples, pets, and even chefs! And, in the end, not only am I happier but my photography and I improve because I don't have to do this or that task, I want to do it. 

And that has made all the difference. 

xo,
J.

P.S. The inspiration to write about my personal & professional experience with "no goals" as well as where I found the beginning quote was from here.  Leo Babauta says it so much better than I. Please read his blog post if interested in transforming your daily life into a "no rules" zone :) Happy Being! 

No comments:

Post a Comment